O'Briens

O'Briens
A twelve year journey including a very long ortho surgery residency, first year as staff, a move to Fort Irwin AKA The Moon, a move back to DC, and now finally settling for a while in the Augusta, Georgia area-this blog tells a story of a boy and a girl leaving NYC, both switching careers, joining the Army, starting our family, loving, losing, living... Buckle up, this life of ours is bumpy, but full of love and lots of adventure.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pacific Northwest Adventure











Caroline and I have been planning for us to get out there during John's deployment, but it's gotten cancelled several times since the kiddos have gotten sick with one thing or another, but it finally, finally happened. In fact, I kept Liam out of school the week prior to the trip since he had just recovered from a terrible cold that Tuesday and I didn't really want him to catch anything else! How's that for some planning? Plus I doubt the school would appreciate the green snot that he is sooooo good at producing. TMI? Perhaps, but so relevant to our lives here these days.

Anyhow, the trip was spectacular and the only thing that would have made it better would be if John and Fred were able to partake in the fun. We were able to fit in a trip to Deception Pass (we still don't know what's so deceiving about the place and have been meaning to look it up), met up with my grandmother and the kid's great-grandmother and great aunts and uncles, toured the San Juan islands, including a Alpaca Farm, and hit Seattle for some Pike's Place Market fun. Liam was too busy looking at everything to notice the guys throwing the fish. I guess we will try again when we are there in August. He did think the mini donuts were to die for there. Thanks to my dear, dear friend Pam (from middle school!!!), who let us in on that one. We were there for a week and it went by fast, but it was so much fun hanging with my sister and watching the cousins play. I think my parents were in heaven watching it all.
Here are some photos and check the travel blog for details of the kid-friendly travel spots.

2 comments:

Grandma O said...

Dear Liam and Isabelle,
I love looking at your pictures of the visit to Washington, and see what fun you had seeing Aunt Caroline,Mailee, and all your extended family.
lots of love,Grandma O

Kim Rhynerson said...

We had so much fun being together visiting Aunt C and Mailee while Uncle Cha Chi was on deployment. We celebrated Mother's Day with the Hilburns at Guermes Island and then to San Juan Island where you had a chance to see these alpacas (just like the one in the Llama Llama story book. We also enjoyed having lunch at Pike Market - what a view there - lots of beautiful flowers, fresh produces and seafood. I was glad that Liam, Mailee and Isabelle met my mom, my sister and my brother at last.

I hope we will travel together again soon.

Love you tons,
Grandma R