O'Briens

O'Briens
A twelve year journey including a very long ortho surgery residency, first year as staff, a move to Fort Irwin AKA The Moon, a move back to DC, and now finally settling for a while in the Augusta, Georgia area-this blog tells a story of a boy and a girl leaving NYC, both switching careers, joining the Army, starting our family, loving, losing, living... Buckle up, this life of ours is bumpy, but full of love and lots of adventure.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A new dog???

Above: Liam with Madi.


Liam has asked several times to go to heaven. The first time I was driving and almost stopped dead in my tracks on Georgia Ave. Was this a premonition? What's going on? At the stoplight, I turned around and asked, "WHY?" He responded, "so we can see Sabre." It has been a little over two years since Sabre has passed. I might have even told this story already on her memorial b-day post this past March, but it made us start thinking about adopting. We met with several rescue groups-two shepherds and one golden--and met Scott Dano of the Virginia Shepherd Rescue group. http://shepherdrescue.net/default.asp He was terrific and brought over two of his love bugs. Liam was in heaven! Scott and I have gone back and forth on email--he's my new best friend! And Liam and I look over the site often too. Our schedules have been kinda busy, and Liam hasn't found his new best doggie friend yet online and we've not been able to make it to any of the adoption days since we've been all over the place. But today, Liam and I were talking again about getting a dog. Our babysitter often brings Madi over to play and Liam loves her. He said a while back that he wanted Madi. I had to explain that Madi was Edwina's and that we could love her, but she couldn't live with us since it would make Edwina sad to have to leave her here. So I asked if he wanted a dog like Madi. He said, "no, she belongs to Edwina. I want Sabre back." I reminded him that Sabre was in heaven looking down on us and he replied, "then I want a dog like Sabre." Those were the words he said as I kissed him goodnight and then he drifted off to sleep with his stuffed dogs, momma dog-originally Oatmeal (she takes up the whole bed), Blondie, Cinnamon and Skippy all tucked in snugly beside him.

What's the first thing I do? I email Scott and then I go to a blog he introduced me to a few months back. http://vadogrescue.blogspot.com/ An amazingly man who has six dogs of his own AND also fosters and rescues fury friends from shelters and other terrible situations. I've been following for a while and finally felt like I needed to formally follow, else be considered a stalker. :) Anyhow, there I find a picture of Star and Ginger. We are inquiring via Scott now, but I felt like I needed to share these great dog sites with our friends who are all dog lovers.

Anyone have room for some love on four legs? Check them out!

As for our new little one? Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Grandma O said...

Hi Liam,
I love this story about how you want a dog just like Sabre. Sabre loved you, and I know you miss her too. One day you will get another dog to love. Dogs really are good friends to us humans :-)
love you,
Grandma O