O'Briens

O'Briens
A twelve year journey including a very long ortho surgery residency, first year as staff, a move to Fort Irwin AKA The Moon, a move back to DC, and now finally settling for a while in the Augusta, Georgia area-this blog tells a story of a boy and a girl leaving NYC, both switching careers, joining the Army, starting our family, loving, losing, living... Buckle up, this life of ours is bumpy, but full of love and lots of adventure.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Philly, our second home

Every time we drive back to Philly, I can envision living there again. I love driving down Kelly Drive and seeing the crew teams training. I love the tree lined streets of East Falls. I love the Wissahickon and running through the trails with the kids. And I love the proximity to downtown. Every year at this time we have to make the trip back to get the jeep inspected since we are still PA residents. Sometimes it is snowy/icy and the trip is crazy, but this year the weather was splendid. The trip was still crazy since Fred was on call and my mom had to drive the kids and me up since I hurt my foot and can't drive, but the trip was fantastic! We attempted a picture of the kiddos and me in front of the church Fred and I were married. And we got to visit our dear friends and past neighbors the Cassidys and Preetams. Between our three families, it was pointed out yesterday that we have 6 children now. What a difference between us then with just a lone Sophie and us DINKs (is that term still used? Double income, no kids), and it is a carnival when we all get together and so much fun. We had planned a trip to the Please Touch Museum, but with such wonderful weather and the perfect timing for the reopening of the Smith's Kid's Play Space in Fairmont Park, we opted for that instead.

The Smith story started in the 1890s when the public, concerned for urban children's health and welfare, saw the benefit for children from having supervised play. The Richard and Sarah Smith Trust started SMITH. Here is the full story...
http://smithkidsplayplace.org/history/

SMITH The Kids’ Play Place in the Park offers children 10 and under a FREE, safe place to play. The six acre Playground includes the Ann Newman Giant Wooden Slide and more than 50 pieces of unique, age-appropriate and accessible pieces of play equipment. The 24,000 square foot Playhouse provides a space for children 5 and under and gives them a chance to “drive” the train, “cook” in the kitchen, ride tricycles in Smithville and much, much more.
http://smithkidsplayplace.org/about/
We played in the new playground and it was gorgeous. They renovated the old wooden slide and that by far was Liam's favorite part of the park. There is a section just for kids 5 and under too and so many choices for kids of all ages. The inside is still getting an update, but if it looks as great as it did outside, I am sure it will be terrific too.

That's what I love about Philly--there is always something fun and magical to do with your best friends and our kiddos. I am already counting down the days until our next visit!

1 comments:

Grandma O said...

Liam and Isabelle,
It looks as though you had a wonderful time in Philly. The playground and Fairmont Park are beautiful places to go, and enjoy an day outside.
I think you are becoming an expert at climbing and sliding on all sorts of apparati, and know how to have fun just about anywhere.
Lots and lots of love, Grandma O